Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs or “Life Plan Communities) can be a wonderful solution for older adults who are independent and active today, but who seek the peace of mind that comes with living in a community that can provide assisted living or health care services if and when needed.
But how do you know if a CCRC is right for you? If you answer yes to most of these introductory questions then it may be worth exploring your options further:
- Do you want to downsize your homeowner responsibilities? (interior and exterior maintenance and repairs)
- Do you like to plan ahead to control, reduce or eliminate the uncertainty about future housing and health care costs?
- If you ever need assisted living or advanced healthcare services, do you want assurance that such services are contractually guaranteed and provided by the community in which you live?
- Would you prefer a social and active community environment—with various services and amenities available to you—that also affords you privacy and independence?
- Are you interested in having easy access to a variety of wellness programs and other activities?
- Would you like to reduce the number of meals you prepare by having access to a meal plan and possibly bistro-style dining options?
- Do you want to reduce the chance that your adult children or other family members will be responsible to provide or coordinate assisted living or nursing care if you need it?
- Are you prepared to possibly pay an entry fee and monthly service fees in exchange for the above?